LIBERALS, LIBERAL DEMOCRATS AND OUR MOLDOVA REFUSE TO PARTICIPATE IN VOTE RE-COUNTING14.04.2009
Chisinau. The three main opposition forces that have won seats in the next Parliament of Moldova – the Liberal Party, the Liberal Democratic Party and the Moldova Noastra Alliance – have announced they will not have a finger in re-counting the ballots cast at the April 5 parliamentary elections in this republic.
MNA leader Serafim Urechean stated at a news conference in Infotag today that the vote re-counting, scheduled by the Central Election Commission for April 15 to last only one day, is “but a farce organized by the Communist Party… The Communists are undertaking an attempt to legitimize the April 5 voting returns that were rigged. We are checking voter registers, but shall not participate in the Wednesday’s ballot re-counting, the more so that nobody can say what has happened to the sacks with ballot-papers since the election day”.
Urechean expressed regret that the vote re-count will suspend the voter-register check work being carried out by the said opposition parties.
“We would like to draw your attention to one thing: the vote recount, initiated by the Communist Party, will be carried out by [over 20 thousand] members of electoral commissions all over the republic – certainly for the public means. And the opposition parties are examining voter registers all by themselves and on party money”, said Serafim Urechean.
Liberal Party Chairman Mihai Ghimpu voiced apprehension that new violations may be committed during the vote recounting tomorrow.
“We know that sacks with ballot-papers are stored somewhere in the Central Election Commission. We are not ruling out that a ballot substitution may be organized. As you all know, the Communists are now in a desperate quest for one parliamentary mandate, which they are, so far, missing for electing a new president independently”, said Mihai Ghimpu.
As Infotag has already reported, the re-counting idea was put forward by the Communist Party Chairman, President of Moldova Vladimir Voronin, and the Constitutional Court and the Central Election Commission have approved of such recount.
…DO NOT RECOGNIZE ELECTION OUTCOME, AND CALL FOR RERUN
Chisinau. The above-mentioned three main opposition parties will demand that the outcome of the April 5 parliamentary election be declared null and void, and will call for a new election, LDPM leader Vlad Filat stated at the news conference he held jointly with the leaders of the Liberal Party and the MNA.
"The opposition parties have gathered enough evidence that the election outcome was rigged," Filat said. "While checking electoral rolls we have found out that people who died many years ago participated in the election. Minors and people who have been working abroad for many years have also been included in election lists and subsequently cast their ballots”.
"He said that the opposition would in the near future present a joint report on the results of checking election lists.
"We will present the mechanism of falsification of election results and will show that some 400,000 additional people were included in election lists, and that 'dead souls', as well as minors and those who have gone abroad cast their ballots in the recent election," Filat said.
At the same time, the Liberal Party, the LDPM and the MNA expressed deep concern about the fate of young people arrested in the wake of the 6-7 protest rallies in Chisinau. The three parties asked for their unconditional release and pledged to bring evidence showing the real provocateurs behind the 7 April mass riots. The Liberal Party, the LDPM and the MNA also demanded access to the Teleradio-Moldova company but so far they have received no answer.
At the April 5 , the parties won together 41 out of 101 parliamentary seats. The other 60 seats were won by the ruling Communist Party.